There are so many names down for each training session, it's great to see that everyone is so enthusiastic. Maybe it's time now to turn the enthusiasm and hard work and training into regatta results. We have a regatta coming up in August at Ballina and already there are names down for this on the website. But we need more.
Head Coach, Dot, has put forward this plea:
22 Keen Enthusiastic Fun loving Competitive PADDLERS
For 20th and 21st August at Ballina Regatta
Make a weekend of it. Social night Saturday night
Paddle our hearts out Saturday and Sunday
Training every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings
The program has been drawn up and it is time to get serious.
Let’s work on improving our team effort
COME ON –Your Club needs you.
Our social luncheon in April was at the Marina Cafe in Yamba and was well-attended. Thanks Janine for organizing this. Gail has been nominated to organise our next social gathering which will be on Thursday 19th May. This will be at Botero in Maclean. Once again you will be able to use the Calendar of Events on our website to sign on if you wish to go along.
There will be details of our next fundraiser at the General Meeting. It will be a BBQ at Home Hardware in Maclean on June 25th. So put the date in your diary for another fundraiser to help send a team away to a regatta.
The General Meeting is your chance as a club member to put forward your views and ideas on the running of the club. It is also a forum where the Board can bring it's thoughts to the members for endorsement. So please come along and have a say in the way that our club is run, as all the work done is for the benefit of the members. Your ideas are valued.
Our next meetings will be:
General Meeting - 7th May in the Riverboat Room, Yamba Bowling Club, 10.15am
Board Meeting - 30th June (time and venue to be advised)
AGM - 31st July (time and venue to be advised).
Over the next few months Gail will be calling for nominations for positions on the Board for the next 12 months. This is when you have a chance to make a contribution back to the club and bring fresh ideas forward, so why not consider nominating?
More thoughts from Dot:
Caring for Equipment
Paddles are expensive, especially the carbon fibre ones you purchase for your selves.
Take proper care of them and they will give you many years of use and enjoyment.
The edge of the paddle blade is susceptible to chips and damage so it is important to take care.
Never push the blade into a solid mass e.g. sand, dirt, grass. Only ever push it into water
Do not use the paddle as a leaning post or walking aid.
Use the handle to fend off obstacles – never the blade.
Life jackets or PFD
Life jackets must be rinsed and dried after use.
Special attention must be given to the gas cylinder. Ensure it is dry to prevent corrosion.
All club PFDs are checked annually on 1st April.
Please report any damage or malfunction of any equipment immediately so the problem can be rectified .
All the equipment belongs to everyone and as members we all have a duty to care for it.
1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just leave me alone.
2. Sex is like air. It is not that important unless you are not getting any.
3. No one is listening until you fart.
4. Always remember you are unique. Just like everyone else.
5. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
6. If you think nobody cares whether you are alive or dead, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.
7. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
8. If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you.
9. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
10. Some days you are the dog, some days you are the fire hydrant.
11. A closed mouth gathers no foot.
12. Generally speaking, you are not learning much when your lips are moving.
13. Experience is something you don’t get until just after you need it.